Friday, April 5, 2013

Food for Thought: Simple Tuna Wrap

One evening in the not so distant past, I came home from the aquatic center a bit late.  I was flying solo that night, I think the hubs was out of town.  I know this might shock you, but I was running out of daytime to actually cook, so I had to deviate from the planned menu.

Don't worry, my palms didn't sweat too heavily, and the hives went away the next day....

Anyway.

Lost, hungry and delirious, I was frantically looking for something not only healthy and tasty, but quick and easy.  And then it hit me.  Something so simple that I've had a dozen times, but never thought of as a dinner for one.  Now it has become a go-to meal for me on nights when I need something on those really hectic nights.

Simple Tuna Wrap

1 Flat Out multi-grain wrap (I always keep a package on hand. They keep for quite awhile)
1 3oz can of albacore tuna in water (I find these very handy and perfect serving, and Walmart carries the 3 packs)
olive oil
1 Tbsp capers
1 oz soft goat cheese
1 Tbsp pesto
sundried tomatoes
olives (I like kalamata)
romaine lettuce
salt and pepper

Drain tuna.  Mix with a tad of olive oil, just enough to crumble and make the tuna moist.  Add in capers and a little salt and pepper. Set aside.

Spread goat cheese over wrap, then the pesto.  Layer the lettuce, then tuna, sundried tomatoes and olives.  Roll, and then, well....eat it!

Hope's Note:  This picture has banana peppers.  I find that they take away from the taste combinations of the rest of the wrap.  I advise against them, unless you really like banana peppers.

Hope's Note:  Sub tuna with chicken if you like.  This would also be good with smoked or grilled salmon if you happen to have it handy.  I use tuna, mainly because it's there in my pantry  and it's just a matter of opening the can!


No comments: