Today I bring you Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa
2 tsp grated lime zest, grated peel 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil 1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted & cooled 1 cup quinoa
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced 4 scallions, chopped
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk lime zest and juice, olive oil, sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and butter.
- Wash quinoa in cold water, drain and place in a medium pot of boiling water with 1 Tbsp of salt.
- Cook with pot uncovered until almost tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain in sieve, then set sieve in same pot with 1 inch of simmering water, but avoid touching each other.
- Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid and steam over medium heat until tender, fluffy, and dry (about 10 minutes).
- Remove pot from heat and remove lid; let stand, still covered with towel, for 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
Hope's Note: I use pre-washed quinoa, so I just do steps 1, 3 (per package directions) and jump right to step 6 by letting it stand and then 7 and then 8 which is EAT IT!
Great for lunches. Eat it warmed or room temp.
Per serving (Hope's Note: maybe about 1 and 1/4 c ish?)
382 Calories, 12g fat (4g sat), 15mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 14g protein