Friday, March 29, 2013

One in a Million

I just read an article from The Washington Running Report about the Marine Corps Marathon sellout and fiasco that happened earlier this week.  I didn't plan on running MCM this year, but since I did last year, I felt some kind of kinship with all that were sitting in front of their computers watching the minutes click down until registration opened.  And because of the record sellout last year and the increasing popularity in the sport (Hey, I'm a new girl on the scene, and even I can see the growth!), I was really curious to see how it would play out this year.  So I watched and read for 2 hours and 27 minutes, and my heart sank when the announcement was made.

Now, I could spout off on how Active.com FUBAR'd registration for a 2nd major race in as many months.  I could even find argument in Active's defense.  And I supposed I could go on an on about the pros and cons of a lottery system and pray to the heavens that the idea qualifying times never enters the picture.  But I won't.

So, why am I writing?  Not why you think.

Out of all the "blah blah hooha", one line in this article struck a chord:

"Last year, 23,519 runners finished Marine Corps..."

We've all heard the saying, "you are one in a million!"  Hell, we've probably said it a time or two.

But I am NOT one in a million.

I am one in 23,519.

And I think that's pretty cool.


No comments: