Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Time, Patience and Persistence

Warning.  The following contains lots of talk about pacing, training and putting things in perspective.

Training has switched gears with the Boilermaker around the corner.  The amount of cross training hasn't really changed since I have one more triathlon to go this year, but my mileage and intensity have increased.  Today was a tough run.  Today's run made me remember, or maybe it's more that I longed for, the level I was at last year.  You know, when my unofficial Half Marathon pace was an 8:20.

What happens to be my around my goal pace for the Boilermaker this year.

With injury and time off, I thought a good goal would be to come in at 1:20:00, which would be around a 9 minute PR.  Now?  Now I'm not so sure.  Today's 6 at a 9:03 average pace just about did me in.  Definitely way off the mark.  Definitely not where I was last year.

Oh, wait.  Last year wasn't September (Run for Green Half) and it wasn't October (Marine Corps Marathon) of 2012, and definitely not February 2013 (Myrtle Beach Half).

Last year was 365 days ago.
Last year, on June 23, 2012, I did a 7.5 mile run at an average pace of 9:23.
Last year, on July 8, 2012, I ran the Boilermaker 15K in 01:29:45, an average pace of 9:39.
Today I ran 6 miles at 9:03.

Am I in my peak racing shape?  HA!  Definitely not.  And it's fool of me to think that I could be this soon after dancing with injuries and taking some time off.  BUT.  I am still running much better than I was 365 days ago.  This is what I need to remember.  I'm further along than where I was last year.
I'm still getting better.  It's just taking me a little longer this round which is making it a wee bit harder to see the progress.  But with time, patience and persistence, I'll find my way back.

Will I make 1:20:00?  Not probable, but also not impossible.

Anything can happen on race day.

I just need to stay in the moment and do what Jyl says....
Just keep going.



No comments: