Thursday, October 9, 2014

Unstoppable

I was supposed to be on a plane this morning.

I was supposed to be traveling to a city unknown.

The long overdue excitement finally hit me.  I was ready.  SO READY!  I was ready for my own little adventure, to break out of my little bubble and anxious to explore and experience the Windy City on my own, so completely focused on running the best 26.2 miles I have ever run.  I was looking forward to challenging myself and blow apart one of my goals and possibly meet the wouldn't-it-be-freaking-awesome-if goal; you know,  the one you only tell a select few about.

I was ready.

I'll tell you what I wasn't ready for.

I wasn't ready to stop.  I wasn't ready to end my season just yet.  I made it through an entire winter and spring of Ironman 70.3 training and a summer cycle of marathon training injury free.  Any athlete will tell you that making it to the start line injury free is more than half the battle.  I was at my peak and in the best shape of my life.  Or so I thought.

I was't ready for my internal organs to revolt and attack me.
Stupid non-essential organs.

Not an uncommon surgery, but a major surgery nonetheless.   As the good doc said, after he told me to chill the heck out, "small incisions do not mean small surgery."  Small incisions big enough to put me out of commission for a month.  Big enough to watch the Chicago Marathon pass me by.

I know what you're thinking.
Quit your moping.  It's just a race.  It's only a month.  Put your big girl panties on.

And you are right!

Now that the anesthesia and all the pain killers that end in 'codon are out of my system, I'm up and walking 2 miles a day instead of wiping drool from face.  I'm back laughing (I'm talking about those good 'ol belly, laugh-till-you-snort-or-pee-your-pants moments) with my peeps at the coffee shop. I'm feeling like my sassy self more and more every day.

And even though Chicago might be passing me by, I'll be looking ahead to what's coming up.  I have a session in a few weeks to map out my master plan for 2015.  I'm on a freaking AWESOME new triathlon team (HOLLA Tri Team Ignite!!!) and get the opportunity to get to know some pretty fantastic sponsors with top notch services and quality products that I get to learn about.  After I'm cleared for duty, I'll have had a month's rest and because my season is over, there is no urgency to jump all in.  I can ease back slowly and safely, building a strong base to take me into next season.

I may have been stopped short this year,
but next year I will be unstoppable!


And a quick note to Chicago Peeps:
Good luck to everyone running on Sunday.  Hate to miss it, but my heart is with you.  
May your feet be swift and gels be tasty!






No comments: