Thursday, November 10, 2011

Trim the Fat

When I was driving into work a morning or so ago, I had a revelation.

Autumn has always been my favorite time of year.  Cool, crisp days.  Cinnamon donuts with apple cider.  And the changing leaves.  Oh the leaves!  As deep as fire and as bright as the sun.  The leaves just might be my favorite thing about autumn.  So why haven't I seen them this year?  Yes, I noticed they were changing, but I failed to actually SEE it.  How can that happen?

I tell you how.  I've been so wrapped up in life that I've forgotten to Do Life.  Sometimes you just need to take a step back and re-evaluate what it is you actually want....and trim the fat!  I had so much going on, I think I've lost track of what it was I really want and what I need to do to get there.

I was taking a water cardio and a water jogging class to help me get used to the water before I started to learn how to swim.  Then I started swimming lessons.  So, I've been trying to do both with limited time and limited pool access; and getting so overwhelmed that I was stressing myself out so much I wouldn't do either.  I was ashamed that I always had to tell my swimming instructor that I haven't been able to practice the drills she gave me.  So, I stepped back and looked at what I was really trying to accomplish.  I want to swim.  I won't get better if I can't invest the time or focus.  So, I made a decision. I dropped the water classes.  Hopefully this will allow me to get the practice time in I need in the limited time frame I'm allowed.  We'll see, but I already feel better.

This past week was registration for next semester's classes.  I registered for 3 classes, putting me in Charlotte at 3:30-9:15 pm on Tuesdays, 6:30-9:15 on Wednesday and 3:30-4:45 on Thursday.  Plus working, plus running/training, plus....there are a lot of pluses!  This morning I looked at the schedule.  And it's like I saw it for the first time.  And then I said...."Am I sane?  Do you realize what you're about to do to yourself?"  I logged into the registration site and said, "goodbye Tuesday/Thursday 3:30 class!"
Note:  keep your fingers crossed that it's offered again at a reasonable time slot in the future....I really wanted to take that class...

There are definitely things that suck that you need to suffer through.  But there is a lot going on in my life that may not be a necessary hell.  You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be taking a good look at what else I can trim, and not just from my waist line!

TTFN!

No comments: