Thursday, January 12, 2012

Forgiveness

If it's one thing I've learned, is that we are way to hard on ourselves, and our punishments are sometimes way too severe.  Let me ask, does the punishment always fit the "crime"?  And does the punishment really make anything better?

I've found, if anything, it just makes it worse.  It's the dreaded downward spiral and it's so hard to dig out of.  So, please take my advice and just don't go down there.  Did you eat too many M&Ms?  You know you shouldn't have.  But it's done.  Accept that you did and do better tomorrow. But for heaven's sake don't beat yourself up over it.  Did you only run 2 miles when you should have run 4?  You know what?  It's okay!  Don't try to do more tomorrow to make up for it.  Accept it, just don't skimp out on the next run.

When I was younger, I parted ways with my closest friend.  She was a sister to me.  Why did we?  I have no idea.  I can't even remember.  But for about five years I held a grudge.  I held a grudge for something I couldn't even really remember.  It's like that family feud that lasts for centuries and continues even though no one remembers what started it in the first place.  I don't know if it was age, time or what, but I found forgiveness for her, but I still couldn't forgive myself.  I couldn't forgive myself for letting a relationship so special and rare dissolve into thin air.  I wanted to fix it, but I just couldn't reach out.  So for a few more years, I dug myself further down the hole.   Thankfully, she was there to help me back out.

By holding yourself in contempt, you're only hurting yourself and holding yourself back.  Don't let yourself go so far over that you can't be brought back.  Forgive yourself because you, my friend, are the only one who can.

And when you can forgive yourself, you can start to love yourself.
And that is when all the magic happens.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Hope! I'm happy for you and your friend...