Saturday, September 15, 2012

Run for Green 2012

Last year at this time, I was getting ready to "toe the line" at the furthest distance I had ever done.  I had been released from my walking boot (for a stress fracture) in August 2011 and was determined to "toe the line" for my first 10K at the Run for Green in 2011.

What a difference a year makes!  It's hard to believe that today I ran the Run for Green half marathon without a second thought.  Without nerves, without anxiety...almost without excitement.  It was just going to be another long run, another training run, just another Saturday.  I had no expectations, no race pace or finish time in mind.  I just went to run.

I started off with what felt slow.  I was being passed by so many people.  But it was okay.  I wasn't trying to beat anyone; heck, I wasn't even trying to beat myself!  After about three miles and few runners passed, I looked at my watch and realized that I was keeping an 8:30ish pace.  I was a little surprised and began to wonder if I could actually keep that pace, but I honestly wasn't going to hold my breath...

About four miles in or so, I caught up to Lori, one of my training partners.  We ran, we chatted, we stopped at the water stop, we ran a little more, we LAUGHED.  Word of advice, when abbreviating the word "ridiculous" to say "ri-dic", make sure you emphasize and enunciate the "ri" that precedes the "dic", or nearby runners might think you are calling the lead runner that just past you all, very bad names.....

After running through a residential neighborhood I like to call the Hotel California (because you can never leave...), we reached a nice little green way almost to the halfway point and turn around.  Turn arounds are fun, but disheartening at the same time because you get to see every single person that's running faster than you!  It was at this point I saw a face I thought I recognized. It was Coach Sarah!  My gosh I didn't know she'd be running today!  That was a nice surprise.  She was going fast.  No surprise there ;)

The second verse, same as the first.....

I won't bore you with the rest of the deets.  Bottom line, somehow I was able to hang onto my pace through all the rolling hills and climbs and averaged an 8:41 pace per mile.  I finished in 1:53:51, a huge PR by about 10 minutes.

After the race I enjoyed a bagel and coffee with Jyl and her mom (hugs to you both!).  And a special shout out to Jack, a fine gentleman I met at the finish line.  I hope to see you out on the DART runs soon!!!

Next week....we'll go for a trifecta...I'll be doing the swim, bike, run thing at the Ramblin' Rose.  We'll see how that goes.

I guess it's time I actually GET ON my bike......



No comments: