Monday, March 31, 2014

The Power of 3

My mom always told me everything happens in 3's.  And the more I open my eyes and pay attention (quit laughing...I pay attention sometimes!) the more I believe this to be true.

I know there is this whole numerology/symbology/other-ology-I-don't-know-the-name-to that can speak to this more than I can, this power of 3.  I don't necessarily have a belief one way or another, but I am always open to possibilities!  

WWF Against All Odds
"Miss Priss"
Circa 1990
What is driving this post?  I came across three pictures.  Three pictures that I realized represent the times in my life I was happiest.  

Riding.
If I were to get on a horse now, it would most likely hurt my heart.  A twinge of pain from the happiest time of my teen aged years.  I had the support of my family, the presence and love of my father, I found passion in a sport and discovered the drive and commitment to reach perfection (I can't tell you how many damn perfect circles or serpentines I have done, over and over and over and over and over....).  What I wouldn't GIVE to throw on that suit, enter the ring on a spunky park horse, a heart-pounding spit-fire 3-gaited or on the back of a thrilling 5-gaited! That would be an absolute dream come true.

a Cha Cha with instructor, Kevin Johnson
Christmas in Dixie, year 2000 and something
Dancing.
I did dance throughout high school, but I didn't really love it until I met up with instructors down in Nashville, Tennessee. Fresh in town, first time living away from home trying to "make it" on my own...
And somehow I got pretty big into country-western couples dancing; two-step, waltz, East and West coast swing....good stuff!  I competed in a Pro-Am division where I would dance with my instructor so I didn't need to find a partner.  I wasn't too shabby.  I wonder what would have happened if I did find a partner to compete in the open divisions....
I did learn I could be on my own.  Have a job, an apartment, meals that may just be cereal or a bowl of corn!  Didn't matter what it was, it was my own.
I learned that I loved to dance.  My favorites?  West coast swing and a good hustle.  Good times and even better memories!

Running.
Well, you all know where I am now.  It's been an awfully long and winding road to get here.  But once again
Marine Corps Marathon 2012
I find myself free and alive.  I'm out here, making my life my own. And once again I have joy and laughter, something I realize now that I hadn't had in a very long time. I've found courage, health, and a little wisdom.  I've found endurance, in mind and sport; across land and water. I've discovered strength and patience within myself that I didn't know was there.

I believe it is safe to say that I have entered into the third happiest phase of my life. I hope there are more, of course, but in the meantime I will cherish this one and ride this wave as far as it will take me. 

Riding.  Dancing.  Running.  Seems to be an odd trio.  But looking at these phases there is one common denominator that links all three.  Me. I was the one that made it all happen.  My success and my happiness were my own.  And that realization, my friends, has been a pleasant surprise!

Coach Sarah says a lot of great things.  This one rings in my ear every challenging moment I find myself in and I think is important to close with....

...allow yourself to feel free and appreciate how strong you are.



No comments: