Friday, April 25, 2014

Adventures with Thelma: Episode 2

Thelma and I get along pretty well...for about 20 miles.  After 20 miles, we start bickering at each other.  By mile 25 I start cussing and then by the 30 mile mark I can't stand to be around her anymore.

She becomes a real pain in the ass.

Literally.

We did the best we could with what we had.  But I personally would like to keep all my bits and pieces functioning, meaning keeping the blood flow flowing....no numbness wanted in my little bits if you catch my drift.  
Plus, the way Thelma is set up doesn't allow me to be as efficient as I could be while exerting less energy than I need too.  That's the idea, right?  To go as fast as possible with minimal amount of effort and energy.   

With this 70.3 cloud over my head (44 days, but who's counting?), that includes a 56 mile bike ride on a flat course, I realized I needed a way to get low, get fast and find a way to make every pedal stroke count.  Clearly it was time for us to see a professional.

With Thelma loaded in the back, we ventured out of our 2-exit bubble and made it to the Queen City unharmed (and only a little lost) to see James Haycraft at Inside Out Sports.  In addition to being an absolute guru for all things cycling, James, a.k.a. "The Pro", is also part of ICE Racing.  Simply said, the dude knows his shit.

I'm just guessing here,
 but I think James is wondering how in the hell
I've been riding on this seat and still  be able to function after.

After he performed his once over on Thelma, he had me hop on to see what kind of magic he'd have to work.  This is how Thelma and I usually ride.  Upright and sitting awkwardly to protect the lady parts.

Before

After some seat adjustments, I can now position myself on my sit bone instead of ....well....you know, and then some bar adjustments to position me low and forward will help with efficiency without putting forth too much effort.  Throw on a new split saddle, add some aero bars and now I look like an instant bad ass.  I may not know what I'm doing, but at least now I look like I do!

After

Let the awesomeness commence.

Thanks James!


No comments: