Monday, April 7, 2014

On a rainy Monday


Right now, I'm feeling awfully anxious.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have this absolutely horrible feeling in my gut.  And this rain does not make me feel at all better.

I went to a short little seminar deal over the summer for endurance athletes preparing for half and full Ironmans.  The host of the seminar said that there will be times when you feel absolutely horrible, mentally or physically.  She advised that it's in our power to make a change.  Think to yourself, "what can I do to make this better for myself right now."  Why save that gem of advice?  Why not apply that to your everyday?

What can I do to make this better for myself right now?

I'm going to tell you about a moment that happened to me this weekend.

I went on my first group ride of the year on Saturday.  I had 35 miles on my plan to complete, and thankfully had a good friend willing to stay back with the slow chick to get me through it.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day! The sun was shining, though we had a bit of a breeze to contend with.  All in all it turned out to be a fantastic ride and it was so refreshing to be outside on the roads.  After we had coffee outside enjoying the weather and the company.  After making it back home, no way did I want to do my little 2-mile run.  But I did.  Thank goodness I did because I would have missed the moment that followed.

I finished my 2 miles well away from my apartment.  It was a happy mistake.  I chose to walk back, enjoying the time to cool down.  And then it happened.  A song came on my iPod just as I made it up the path from the baseball field past the lacrosse pitch nearing the practice field.  It was one of those songs that make you stop dead in your tracks, close your eyes and take it in.  To my right was a nice slope in the grass on the edge of the golf course.  I laid down, turned up the volume and closed my eyes allowing myself to take in the sun, the words, the music, my breath, the breeze.  At that moment, nothing else existed except serenity.

So, what can I do to make today better for me right now?  If you happen to pass by my office and see my earphones in with my eyes closed, don't mind me....I just traveled back in time to my moment on the hill.


No comments: