Friday, May 9, 2014

Adventures with Thelma: Episode 4

(to be sung to the Happy Birthday tune, pitch accuracy is optional)

Happy anniversary to me.  
Happy anniversary to me.

Happy anniversary to meeeeee.....

Happy
anniversary
toooooooooooooooooooo
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  (this should be the highest note the human ear can hear....)

Anniversary you ask?  Yes folks, my triathlon anniversary!

On May 11, 2013, Thelma and I made our debut at the Jetton Park Triathlon.   

Tomorrow, Thelma and I will return to where it started.  I have a lot of feelings and emotions surrounding this event.  It's a little surreal to see everything come full circle.  To see how much things have changed, how I have changed, and yet remained the same..... (insert thoughtful, pondering, philosophical look here) 

Last year was strictly about survival the experience.  This year I find myself thinking that just surviving isn't good enough this time.

Nope.  Not at all.

I want to kill it.

This tri is a 750m swim, 12.4  mile bike and a 5k run.  Up until about a week ago, I have been putting in some decent training hours.  40+ mile rides, brick sessions, 2000m swim sessions in the pool.  Tempo runs, intervals....I've seen some serious improvement in my run.  Bottom line....I've put some good work in and tomorrow's distance doesn't equal half of what I do in one day's training. There is absolutely no reason for me not to do well.  The only thing that can stop me?  

My head.

Where I'm at:
  • I've had some knee issues that we think a slight saddle adjustments we made will resolve.  Unfortunately, we haven't really been able to test this theory.  I chose to stay off the bike to get the inflammation under control.  This makes me nervous.  REALLY hoping it's just an adjustment that was needed and all will be ready for EagleMan.  
  • I seemed to have picked up some extra weight since last weekend.  I may have celebrated Lori's AG win and ICE Racing's stellar day at the Carolina Half/International a little too much.  Over celebrating + a light training week + eating like you're training hard = a little more padding than normal 
  • Open Water.  'nuff said.
Where I'm trying to get to:
  • To put the knee issue out of my mind.  We made the adjustments.  Fingers crossed it works.  If it doesn't, then we make more adjustments.  Keep rpms high, keep a good effort on hills but no need to crush them.  Keep the attack in check and live to ride another day.
  • Weight.  It is what it is.  Can't do anything about it now.  I know that it will come back off.  Training ramps back up this Sunday with a 50 mile ride.
  • Open Water.  I need to keep calm and slow my strokes down.  Reach, glide, relax, and try to sight without breaking stroke.  Goal:  to swim as much as this course as possible.  To not worry about speed or anything.  Just feel the water, feel the stroke, feel relaxed and have a good swim.  This will put me in good spirits and ultimately set me up to have a fun ride and a killer run.
Tomorrow's goals:
  • PR - kinda goes without saying, but I said it anyway
  • Keep Calm and Tri On
    • meaning - get the hell out of my own head, have faith in my training and my ability
  • #STFU, #HTFU, #GTJD
Race face engaged.



No comments: