Monday, June 11, 2012

"Doing Life" in Charlotte!

Some of my friends know that I've been following blogger extraordinaire, Ben Davis, for well over a year now.  If you don't know of Ben, I highly recommend you remedy that RIGHT THIS INSTANT and visit him at bendoeslife.tumblr.com AND watch the video of his 120 Pound Journey.  Great stuff.

Ben, his father, John "Pa" Davis, and brother Jed, founded the Do Life Movement.  What is Do Life?  Well, I'm going to let their website tell you:  "Do Life is the idea that life doesn't have to be ordinary or inconsequential.  The idea that, through running, racing and doing these things together, we can find and spread happiness."

I love these men.  I love what they are trying to do and I love their openness, honesty and humor.  They are my daily dose of inspiration, and without even knowing, they each helped me get to where I am today.  They kept me going when I didn't think I could and pushed me further when I thought I had done enough.  And they make me laugh.  A LOT!

Anyway, the Do Life crew (minus Jed, whom I'm REALLY sorry I couldn't meet) made their way to Charlotte yesterday, the last stop of the first leg of the 2nd Official Unofficial Do Life 5K Tour.  It's a time for all of us to come together, run/walk a 5K and celebrate what we've accomplished and what we will accomplish.  As Ben says, everyone has a story.  I say, inspiration is all around us if you just take a second to listen and witness it.

I have this familiar, this comfort zone where I don't venture more than 2 exits away from my little town.  And I really don't do well with meeting new people (stranger danger!!).  But Ben and Pa were going to be in Charlotte.  What was I going to do?  I couldn't miss meeting my heroes!  So, I had to put on my big girl panties and deal with leaving my 2 exit radius AND meet Ben and Pa and more strangers....  So, with sweaty palms and all, I did what any self-respecting weeny baby would do.  I made Jyl go with me, and we met up with our friend Graham!

We met Ben and Pa, I did talk (say a few words) to a couple of other people; we ran and then we headed to Bruegger's Bagels for a snack and some more chat.  I do regret that I couldn't bring myself to talk to Ben and Pa more; to thank them for what they did for me and ask them more meaningful questions than "what has been your favorite cities to visit" (For Dirty Dancing fans out there, you can equate this to: "I carried a watermelon").  I regret not getting to know the fellow Do-Lifers in the area.  BUT, to look on the bright side, I was able to venture from my town without too much difficulty, did shake the hands of some amazing men, had a fun morning with two great friends and the best damn cup of coffee I've had in a while!  Maybe next time I might even be able to talk to people?

Here are some photos of the best Sunday morning EVER!

Jyl and Graham...they're happy I made them come!

The Three Amigos!

Jyl, Ben Davis and Yours Truly


Jyl and I, action shot.
Yes, I took this while running and I didn't even hurt myself.
BUT, Jyl may have stepped in goose poop.


Me and John "Pa" Davis.  I LOVE THIS MAN!
And I hope he didn't mind that I called him Pa....

I cannot tell you enough just HOW HAPPY this
cup of coffee made me.....
not to mention the sea salt bagel with smoked salmon....
(starting to drool from the memory of the absolute deliciousness of it all)

No comments: