Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Food for Thought: Cilantro Cucumber Salad

Me and the hubs were grilling out one night, and I was trying to come up with a refreshing side item that did not involve mayonnaise or pasta.  I wanted something refreshing, something light; and then I found this.  It is a perfect filler, and for those like me who want a "guilt free" filler option to add to a meal, it is PERFECT.  Especially during these hot southern summer days.  Did I also mention that it is RIDICULOUSLY easy??

I wasn't sure if cucumbers had any real nutritional value, but some sites like this one say they are high in potassium and magnesium, two nutrients I know that some of us don't get enough in our diets.  Cucumbers are also very low in sodium, have no cholesterol and are low fat.  Plus, they're a good way to supplement hydration since they have a high water content.

As it stands, this recipe is enough for two people.  So, if you have a larger family or plan on bringing this to a potluck cookout, you might want to double or triple the recipe.  AND DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE CHILI POWDER.  I promise you that it does NOT add heat, only compliments the flavor.  I was afraid of the chili powder but decided to go on a culinary adventure and was glad I did.

Without further ado, I bring to you today's installment of Food for Thought:  Cilantro Cucumber Salad.
Enjoy!

2 cucumbers
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp chili powder
1/3 tsp salt
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Hope's Note:  I've found that one lime yields about 2 Tbsp of juice.  Helpful tidbit when you're trying to make your grocery list!


1.  Peel cucumbers, slice lengthwise into quarters, and cut into 1 inch pieces; place in large bowl.
2.  Sprinkle with lime juice, chili powder, and salt; toss.  
3.  Toss with cilantro.
4.  Refrigerate until chilled.


Yields about 2.5-3 servings 


Nutritional Info:
Per serving (Hope's Note: 1c'ish?)
26 Calories, .3g fat, 0mg cholesterol

source:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cilantro-cucumber-salad/

1 comment:

Anita said...

Sounds great....you know how I love cucumbers and with summer here, everyone has them in their gardens. Always looking for something new to try. Mom