Friday, October 5, 2012

Food for Thought: Summer Vegetables with Sausage and Potatoes

If you do not already subscribe to SkinnyTaste.com, you need to. But then again if you do, my posts will become redundant and you will no longer read my Food for Thought editions.....(insert sad face here)

Anyway.  I made this amazing one-dish wonder with a recipe found on SkinnyTaste.  Quick, easy preparation, healthy, delicious and only a few ingredients.  Just the way I like 'em!  And yes, I know it's not really summer anymore, but you can still get zucchini at the grocer, or if you live in the south and are like my in-laws and tend to plant your garden a little late, you're still getting the "fruits" of your labors!

My apologies.  I once again forgot to take pictures of my amazing cooking skills.  I know you're sad.


Summer Vegetables with Sausage and Potatoes

1lb baby red potatoes, cut in half or quartered
2tsp oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder  
1tsp kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
14oz Italian chicken sausage, sliced 1inch thick
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2Tbsp fresh rosemary (or other fresh herb like thyme)
2 cups zucchini, 1/2 inch thick and quartered

Place oil and potatoes in a large, deep non-stick skillet on high heat (Hope's Note:  I will be buying one this weekend.  I cooked this with a stick skillet and though it was still YUMMY, this part was a pain in my arse.).  Season with garlic powders, salt & pepper.  When the skillet gets hot and starts to sizzle, reduce heat to low and cook with a tight fitting lid on for abut 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent the potatoes from burning.
Remove from heat and let them sit 5 minutes without removing lid.  Then set potatoes aside on a separate dish.

In same skillet, add sausage and saute on medium to low and cook until browned but not quite cooked through.  Approximately 10 minutes.

Season chopped veggies with salt & pepper.  Add onions, peppers, garlic and rosemary (or other herb) to skillet and mix.

Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions and peppers become slightly browned.

Mix in zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes.

Return potatoes back to the skillet and mix well.  Add more salt & pepper if needed; cover and cook 5 more minutes.

Yields:  4 servings, each approx 1 3/4c

Nutritional Info:
326 calories, 11g fat, 23g protein, 33.5g carbs, 5.3g fiber, 5g sugar, 897mg sodium

Hope's Note:  I sliced the other halves of the orange and yellow peppers into strips to pack as a snack for one of my lunches this week!!

Hope's Note:  My mom gave me a Vidalia Chop Wizard.  Where I once laughed at her for using one, now I don't know if I could live without mine!  I did my onion, chop chop, pepper 1, pepper 2, pepper 3 chop chop...all in one swoop.  And there is was, in its own little prep container ready to go in the pan, already all together.  I am a BIG fan of easy and less mess, so I do love this little contraption!

No comments: