Saturday, October 6, 2012

Things I Might Do Post Marathon

Today was a big day.  Today my training plan called for 20 miles.  Of running.  I don't think you realize just how far that is unless you are on your feet going 6mph eating this nasty GU stuff every 45 minutes.  Things hurt, things went numb....

It was awesome.

Dude.  I ran 20 miles today.

I RAN TWENTY FREAKING MILES.  AT ONCE.  Holy crap.

We all run for many reasons.  Some of us, 1% of us, decide to take the plunge and go for 26.2.  We begin a 16 week period of ups and downs and blisters and pain; and it's also a 16 week period of sacrifice of sorts.  One question that every runner training for a marathon can relate too is, "what are YOU going to do post marathon?"

And so, when you're running for 20 miles, you have lots of time.  Lots of time to talk, to cuss, to blow snot rockets......and to think.  And today I thought of a list of things I might do post marathon:
  • throw the biggest party EVER.  Drinks all around!
  • eat greasy-bad-for-me pizza
  • sleep in until 6 a.m.
  • drink a diet Coke
  • quit running
  • relax
  • eat pancakes
  • stay up past 9 p.m.
  • celebrate Oktoberfest in November
  • soak in a hot bath for a week
  • clean my house
  • burn my sneakers
  • read more than 2 pages of a book without falling asleep
  • buy the entire series of Dawson's Creek and Felicity and enjoy a different type of marathon where the fuel is miniature Reese's Cups, Hershey Nuggets with Toffee and Almonds and a pint of Ben & Jerry's

and just to keep things balanced....

Things I WON'T Do Post Marathon
  • eat Gu gels for breakfast
  • go on 15-20 mile runs for the hell of it


No comments: