Thursday, January 3, 2013

Food for Thought: Romantic Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms

I'll tell ya, nothing makes me feel more refined than cooking with wine.  Why? I have no idea, so just hush it and let me enjoy the illusion...

Also, I'm not sure why they call this "Romantic Chicken", because honestly, how romantic can chicken be?  So, in my house, I call it Artichoke Chicken.  Makes more sense to me.

Anyway.  I promised to bring you delicious, healthy (for the most part) and EASY recipes.  I've made this one a few times before and wanted to share it with you.  I found this gem at AllRecipes.com.  I tend to serve this on a bed of whole wheat linguine and a veggie.  I like asparagus :)

Romantic Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms


Here's my dinner
(and that's my lunch off to the right)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (HOPE'S NOTE: I half the halves, keeping each portion to about 4oz)
salt and pepper, to taste
1TBSP olive oil
1TBSP butter
1 (14oz) jar/can marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and liquid reserved
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup white wine *
1TBSP capers

Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Brown chicken in skillet for about 5-7 minutes on each side.

Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

In same skillet, place artichoke hearts and mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are brown and tender.

Return chicken to skillet, add reserved liquid from artichokes and the wine, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes (until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear).

Stir in capers, simmer for another 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Yields: 4 servings

Nutritional Info (not including pasta or vegetable!):
312 cal; 75mg cholesterol; 3.9g fiber; 426mg sodium; 9.6g carbs; 16.2g fat; 25g protein

* I've tried a few different brands of pinot gris with this, and it's been good.  Last night I used Mirrasou Riesling....and I felt like I hit the lottery!  The sweetness of the Riesling seemed to compliment the flavors of the artichokes and capers extremely well.

TIP!
Having problems keeping to portions?  When I'm plating our dinner, I have my tupperware ready to go and portion out my lunch at the same time.  That way, it is already put away and I'm not tempted to go back for seconds that I really don't need.

Still have a lot of leftovers?  Why not grab another tupperware and treat a friend to a homemade meal.

Happy eating!


No comments: