Sunday, December 6, 2015

Holy Smokes.

I was just looking through my pages and saw that my last "real" post was back in April when I was training for Raleigh 70.3.  Holy smokes that seems like a lifetime ago.  Once again I find myself looking back and saying, "well, dang.  That didn't go as planned."  I had pretty big ambitions when planning my 2015 season including some long trail races, a weekend 100 mile mountain ride, two 70.3's and a Boston qualifying attempt.  Then life decided to throw some more curve balls my way.

This is how the last 8 months have shaken out.
I got through a few trail races and then we got to say hello once again to my old friend, Mr. Lateral Patella Tracking Pain In The Ass and good bye to Mr. Raleigh 70.3.

Then at end of April I received notice from my employer that my position within the institution would be eliminated effective June 30 due to restructure.  Oh and by the way, since I would be out of a job, I would also be out of a home since I was living in on-facility housing.  Life may have just wizzed a fast ball in there... you know, just to mix things up a bit...keep me on my toes....

But within the chaos, some really great things happened.  Like this:

9 years in the making!
GRADUATION DAY!!!
HOLLA!

 

view from my new place.


new job in the big city!

I did get my 100 mountain miles in, barely...but I did it!

I was gearing for a 6:30:00 performance at Augusta 70.3 for the shape I was in, but I surprised myself with meeting my original pre-injury goal of sub 6 hour....at 5:59:56!  4 seconds to spare...  I'm glad I didn't stop to pee.

But honestly?  My favorite moments and highlights of this season had nothing to do with me, but those that I was fortunate enough to witness and be a part of.

Do you remember the guy in the orange visor?  Well, I was privileged to see him complete a 100 mile trail race in Virginia.  As described on their website, it's a race that requires "grit, endurance, temporary loss of sanity."

And then I was in awe as I watched my friends, Trikitten and Sunshine, do the 140.3 distance at Beach 2 Battleship, both giving stellar performances.  Normally I would take this moment to introduce you to their blogs and link to their recaps....but we've all been slacking on the blog front these days....

And finally, I was able to help pace my friend, Michelle (yes, she does have a nickname as well, but the interwebs aren't quite ready for that), for the first 10 miles of her marathon a few weeks ago.  She had an a fantastic training cycle and was running so strong...I have never had so much fun running 10 miles in my entire life.  True story.

I am so proud of all my friends.  It's been a big year for all of us.  Lots of life changes.  Babies, new houses, job challenges, broken ribs, questionable toes..... and we've all made it through.

There are still a lot of changes for me on the horizon.  I'm not sure what 2016 is going to bring.  I've learned that nothing ever goes as planned so might as well stop planning so much?  Maybe it's time to just throw caution to the wind and see what happens...




No comments: