Saturday, May 14, 2011

The In-between

Merriam-Webster defines in-between "as a state or position that is in the middle between two other things."  I'm finding myself within a few in-betweens at the moment.  In-between school semesters, in-between a crazy-busy time at work, and I find myself in-between running goals.  You may have read, I participated in a 5K  race a week or so ago, not a great showing I might add.  My next running adventure will include a 10K race mid-September.  Of course I'm nervous, excited and eager to get our training in gear.  But, the training schedule doesn't start until June 1.  So, I find myself at a loss of what exactly I should be doing from now until then.

Yes, I need to work on speed.  Yes, I need to work on endurance and yes hills are still my nemesis.  But all these things will be included in our training plan, a plan created by someone who knows what there doing.  So.  What should I do? 

After that 5K, I discovered something.  I'm not comfortable.  Not at the pace I've been doing.  I kicked it up a notch before I was really ready to, and tried to maintain that.  The consequence has been misery.  Nothing felt right and getting 3 miles in was becoming more difficult and frustrating. 

This past week, I just ran.  I didn't worry about time and I really didn't worry about distance.  I simply ran.  Yesterday I did a route that I'd been struggling with, always walking right after a certain hill, feeling like I was going to stroke out.  But yesterday, I slowed down and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do the 3 miles without much problem or discomfort.  For today, I planned to do 4.  Midway through, instead of taking the right onto Crescent Rd toward home, I went left!  Inconceivable!  What is even crazier is that after I finished what turned out to be 4.9 miles and was walking back to my car, I realized that I had it in me go go further.  I don't know how much further mind you.  Just, further.

I can't tell you what an accomplishment and confidence booster these past two days have been for me.  So, I've realized what I will be doing in this in-between.  Get comfortable. That's my mission.  I can work on the other stuff in a month, and I'm not going to worry about it until then.

So if you find yourself in an in-between, just run.  

p.s.  if you happen to be driving and see me in the road, please don't run me over :-)

No comments: