Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Swimming Update....

It's been awhile since I've shared any thoughts about my adventure known to most folks as swimming.  I know you all are on pins and needles wondering if I've drowned yet.  Well, unless I have a ghost writer, that has not yet happened.  But let us not tempt fate...

So.  It's going.  Kick by kick, stroke by stroke and length by length.  Sometimes with paddles and sometimes with a buoy, sometimes with both and sometimes with neither.  I go and go, back and forth, to and fro, one breath here, one breath there.  Swallow water here, blow snot bubbles there.  I try to channel my inner Dory and "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim, swim."

I'd like to think that there is progress, but it is slow.  Slower than I would like. But I also recognize that I have come a long way since the first time I donned on my sexy cap and goggles.

Awhile back, I did a Top 10 list of why swimming sucks.  Well, in that same spirit I will offer some updates, thoughts and opinions.  In no particular order in my charming random fashion.

  • Don't inhale through your nose.  Water will go down your throat and it will burn and cause you make silly little girl noises.
  • I embrace my paddles and my buoy.  Love. Them.
  • I cannot do a dolphin kick.  Though it is entertaining to watch me try.
  • Not entirely swimming related, but water related...how do male divers' trunks not come off when they dive?
  • I'm getting the hang of lane changes.
  • I love the feeling when you first jump in the water and your toes reach the bottom...you breath out...and it's like you're breathing out everything that is wrong or chaotic.  And then you push off the wall and swim. It's just you and the black line keeping you straight; and everything else just ripples away in your wake.
  • Don't swallow air when you gasp to breathe.  It makes you burp and then people look at you funny.
  • I like watching other swimmers.  It's inspiring and can offer ideas of do's and don'ts.
  • Bikini bumps are still a problem, but I'm fighting the good fight.
  • Sometimes I think I just might have a decent stroke.
  • I bought some anti-fogging spray for my goggles a month or so ago.  I have no idea how well it works, it's still in the package.
  • I like how it feels when I cut through the water.

And with that my friends, I bid you ado.

Until next time...


No comments: