Friday, August 10, 2012

Food for Thought: Pizza for One

I love pizza.  Scratch that.  I love greasy pepperoni pizza, with lots of cheese and onions and sauce and cheese and mushrooms and sausage and, did I say cheese?  And it's so easy!  So easy to throw a frozen one in the oven or pick up the phone to order one from the local pizza joint (or have the hubs call because you have a phobia of ordering pizza over the phone...and drive-thrus....but that's something for another post).  Especially on the crazy nights or the lazy don't-wanna days.

Well, needless to say, I don't partake in the wonders of Dominoes or Pizza Hut any longer.  Once in a while you'll find me at my favorite restaurant (shout out to the Brickhouse...HOLLA!) sharing a thin and crispy Mediterranean with the hubs, or we'll throw in a Kashi at home.  The problem is when he's on the road...I've lost my pizza sharing buddy (insert sad face here).  So then, I'm down a hubs and can't even sulk with a whole pizza.

Thanks to a good friend, problem solved.  She told me about a heavenly concoction that you can make as healthy, or unhealthy, as you want! I've always been wary of making my own pizza at home.  I don't know why.  It's a thing.

And in her honor, we will call it the  

Rainy Day Pizza for One

1 of your favorite pieces of flat bread, or one of those individual sized ready made things
pesto
garlic cloves, chopped
chopped chicken, grilled or store-bought in the deli...whatever you have on hand.  (I used this, just because it was what was in the fridge)
marinated artichoke hearts
roasted red peppers
fresh mozzarella
salt & pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Slather on some pesto all over your flat bread, sprinkle the garlic.  Add on the chicken pieces, artichoke hearts and red peppers.  Dot with cheese (I found mozzarella pearls, I have never seen such a thing!) and salt and pepper to taste.

Place in oven directly on the rack for about 10-12 minutes.

Yum.

Use this as a base, an idea.  Change, add or remove ingredients, Go crazy!



 

No comments: